Job Opportunities with Times Square Alliance NYC
The following post is shared by a Dwight Hall alumnus. Please apply directly to the Times Square Alliance if interested.
The Times Square Alliance works to improve and promote Times Square – cultivating the creativity, energy and edge that have made the area an icon of entertainment, culture and urban life for over a century. Founded in 1992, the Alliance keeps the neighborhood clean and safe, promotes local businesses, manages area improvements and produces major annual events with partners, including New Year’s Eve, Solstice in Times Square and Taste of Times Square. As the custodians of Times Square, the Alliance works every day to improve the quality of life for the neighborhood residents and businesses while driving economic growth in New York City. www.TimesSquareNYC.org
The Times Square Alliance seeks exceptional candidates for its Policy & Research Analyst position.The Analyst will work with the Policy, Planning & Design team in tracking and summarizing economic indicators and quality of life data and assisting in the Alliance’s work to shape the City’s capital reconstruction of Times Square in the coming years.
The position reports to the Vice President of Policy, Planning, and Design.
Research & Analysis
The Policy & Research Analyst will be responsible for collecting and analyzing an array of economic and quality of life data, which directly informs the organization’s policy and program choices. This data will be distributed in monthly reports, Board of Directors reports, requests from news media, packets for new businesses and will also be used to support the needs of PPD projects. Additionally, the Analyst may be responsible for supervising consultant contracts for short-term research projects, including economic studies and constituent satisfaction surveys. Specific ongoing tasks include:
- Management and expansion of an extensive automated pedestrian camera system.
- Commercial real estate research, monitoring local market conditions and leasing activity.
- Tourism research, measuring performance of Broadway theaters and area hotels.
- Quality of life research, tracking crime incidents and sanitation data.
Capital Projects & Public Space
As part of the ongoing revitalization of Times Square, the Alliance is working with the City of New York as a co-client for the capital reconstruction of the Times Square Bowtie, upgrading and expanding the quality and functionality of Times Square’s public spaces. In addition, the Alliance is moving forward with a smaller wayfinding capital project aimed at Restaurant Row. The Policy & Research Analyst will support the Vice President of Policy, Planning & Design on capital projects and other public space initiatives.
Design & Publications
The Policy & Research Analyst will be responsible for producing some creative material that informs the Alliance’s constituents and community partners of its programs, projects, and data collection, while representing the Alliance’s brand and commitment to quality design. Specific tasks include:
- Generating maps of place-specific data in the district, such as pedestrian counts, crime, incidents, retail vacancies, or new developments
- Generating charts and graphs of data collected regularly, and supporting production of the organization’s monthly reports and quarterly board meeting materials with economic indicator data and graphs.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, is essential. Experience with Adobe Illustrator and other programs in the Creative Suite is preferred. Experience with GIS is a plus.
The Policy and Research Analyst should possess at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent communication, writing and analytical skills.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to:
Attn: HR – PPD – Policy & Research Analyst
External Affairs Coordinator
The Director of Communications and External Affairs of the Times Square Alliance, a business improvement district in New York City, seeks a very bright, well-organized candidate with excellent writing skills to support the President of the Alliance with respect to a number of External Affairs responsibilities.
This is an opportunity to work closely with a dynamic but demanding leader of a high-profile non-profit, and in the process learn about management, non-profits, city government and urban affairs in New York City. The ideal candidate is ultimately interested in public or non-profit management, loves New York City, and sees this as an opportunity for learning and growth. He or she must have an appetite for detail-oriented work, be an excellent writer and proofreader, and extremely well-organized. Excellent Powerpoint skills a plus.
Among other things, the External Affairs Coordinator will work closely with the President on a number of his key external affairs activities, including:
- Presentations and speeches for conferences and events
- Preparations for and follow up from Alliance Executive Committee and Board Meetings, including preparation of briefing books, press clips and meeting minutes
- Duties as a Board member of NYC & Company, New York City’s tourism entity
- Duties as a Board member of the Times Square Advertising Coalition
- Duties as a Board member of the Broadway Association
- Duties as the Co-Chair of the New York City BID Manager’s Association
- Duties as a Board Member of the International Downtown Association (IDA) and as Chair of the Host Committee of the IDA World Congress in October 2013
- Research, analysis and follow up with respect to key legislative issues of interest to the Alliance or any of the entities listed above, in coordination with relevant partners and Alliance staff
- Follow up with and briefing of the relevant members of the Alliance staff as to the above activitie
When not occupied with the above tasks, the Coordinator will support the Director of Communications & External Affairs and the department with a variety of tasks. The Coordinator’s annual review will be performed by the President and the Director.
Interested candidates please send a resume and cover letter explaining why they are insterested in the position and resume to
Attn: HR – COM – Coordintor