Empower urban youth through environmental exploration and leadership in New Haven, CT!
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to help young people succeed? That creates meaningful opportunities for youth while also making an impact on their communities and environment?
Overview of Solar Youth, Inc.:
SOLAR YOUTH, INC. is a New Haven-based non-profit youth development and environmental education organization. Our mission is to empower youth from New Haven’s low income neighborhoods to achieve lifelong success – and nothing less! Through programs that connect youth to the environment, their communities and each other, youth build the skills and motivations necessary to be positive contributors to their community, have healthy relationships, be physically and mentally healthy, and become economically self-sufficient.
Our youth reside in New Haven’s low income communities who are faced with incredible challenges such as poverty, crime and violence in their neighborhoods, and are in great need of positive supports and opportunities to succeed. Through our neighborhood-based programs, youth explore their environment, learn the skills and joys of being agents of positive change, and teach what they have learned to others (Kids Explore! Kids Do! Kids Teach!). The four core elements of our programs are ENVIRONMENTAL EXPLORATION, YOUTH-LED PROBLEM SOLVING, NONVIOLENT COMMUNICATION and MINDFULNESS PRACTICE.
Overview of Position:
The role of an Educator at Solar Youth is unique and complex. Solar Youth Educators quickly fall into a role that requires them to master a hybridized skillset of science and environmental education, youth work and social emotional learning.
While Educators teach youth about nature, sustainability and outdoor skills, the environment is just one tool to help youth build the skills and competencies to be successful in life. Other tools include service learning and building long term relationships with youth over time (SY Stewards, as we call them, can start at 5 years old and continue through high school); teaching and modeling nonviolent communication and mindfulness techniques and practices; youth-led problem solving; and opportunities for youth to have a voice in individual programs and organizational leadership. We emphasize supporting positive, thoughtful, informed choices, personal responsibility, second, third and hundredth chances and having FUN.
Solar Youth is looking for enthusiastic, positive individuals who are driven to support the success of the young people, as well as be part of a high functioning, high expectation organizational team. So if you are looking for job that gives you the opportunity to work with kids in the outdoors in an urban environment (New Haven is a great small city with amazing community and an outstanding parks system), teach young people how to solve problems constructively, create positive change and be part of a team where you have a voice in developing the future, Solar Youth may be the perfect place for you.
The role of a Solar Youth Educator is large, but below are some of the key responsibilities:
- Curriculum development and management
- Program delivery
- Program evaluation and data collection
- Training and mentoring of teenage interns
We are looking for full and part-time positions for the fall of 2017.
Full-time Educators are asked to take on additional organizational roles based on their skills and interests and organization needs (e.g. social media, data management, system development, donor management, etc.).
Some days it will feel like you have to be a superhero. Some days, you might actually BE one. If that’s exciting to you, we’d love for you to apply!
- Experience working/teaching/leading variety of youth age groups required
- Bachelor’s Degree required (ideally in something related to the environment, education or social work, but not required)
- Superior communication skills
- Youth development experience a plus
- Experience with mindfulness practices and nonviolent communication a plus
- Science and/or outdoor education experience a plus
- First aid & CPR certified
- Comfort with Google Drive, MS Office & Salesforce or determination to develop one
- Passion for outdoor experiences (e.g., hiking, gardening, backpacking, farming, etc.) required
- Commitment to Solar Youth’s 5 underlying values (interdependence, stewardship, kindness, excellence and fun)! See solaryouth.org/our-values.
- High energy and passionate about supporting and teaching youth of all ages
- Self-motivated, flexible, patient
- An excellent team player
- Commitment to continual personal and professional development
- Determination, humility and strong ethic of care for self and others
- Highly resilient and emotionally intelligent
Hours: Part-time and Full-time positions available. Both include some weekends for adventure trips, and occasional overnights
HOW TO APPLY
Email cover letter explaining why you would be a great fit for Solar Youth IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL (not as a separate attachment); attach your resume. Email to ProgramJobs@solaryouth.org with the subject line “Educator”.
Please note that we are a small organization and aim to respond to all candidates but due to volume of responses may not be able to in a timely manner. If you follow the above directions, you should get an automated email response confirming receipt of your application. If you are selected to move forward in the hiring process, you will be contacted by us directly. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Full health insurance coverage for full time employees.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED