Prison education is currently at the forefront of national conversations about criminal justice reform and access to higher education. Successful university partnerships in prison have proven their transformative value to students, educators, and institutions of higher learning by providing rigorous, high-quality educational opportunity to underserved students of great potential.
The Yale Prison Education Initiative at Dwight Hall seeks to expand upon existing Yale programming in correctional facilities by offering Yale courses to incarcerated students in Connecticut.
Recent YPEI News
-January 2017: Dean of Yale College Jonathan Holloway delivers commencement address at Eastern Correctional Facility for the Bard Prison Initiative’s 15th graduation ceremony.
YPEI Common Read
To register your interest in receiving a book to participate in the Common Read, click here.
YPEI at Dwight Hall will be hosting a “Common Read” of Daniel Karpowitz’s recent book College in Prison: Reading in an Age of Mass Incarceration (2017).
The purpose of the common read is to join students, faculty, administration, staff, and community partners in small group discussions — both on- and off-campus — to consider the issues raised around a text in the context of our own institution, city, and community.
YPEI will distribute the text, provide discussion materials, and host initial events — but encourages you to plan your own discussion group with your colleagues, peers, colleges, interest groups, or service partners!
For more information, click here.
Friends and Links
- Yale Undergraduate Prison Project
- Yale Students for Prison Divestment
- CT Bail Fund
- Immigrant Bail Fund
[Yale Centers & Programs]
- Policy Lab at Yale ISPS (Prison Education Working Group)
- Center for the Study of Inequality at ISPS
- Transitions Clinic at Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Yale Center for the Study of Race, Indigeneity, and Transnational Migration
- Gilder Lehrman Center for the Study of Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition at Yale
- Education Studies at Yale College
- Challenging Mass Incarceration Clinic at Yale Law School
- Arthur Liman Public Interest Program at Yale Law School
[Conferences & Workshops]
- Liman Public Interest Spring 2017 Workshop: “Imprisoned”
- Philosophy and Mass Incarceration Conference at Yale
- Critical Histories and Activist Futures Conference at Yale (History, Science, and Justice Collective at Yale)
- Rebellious Lawyering Conference at Yale
[New Haven Resources]
[College in Prison]
- Consortium for Liberal Arts in Prison
- Bard Prison Initiative
- Wesleyan Center for Prison Education
- Prison University Project
- Goucher Prison Education Partnership (GPEP) Seeking Director of Advancement
- Ford Foundation Program Officer, Gender, Racial and Ethnic Justice.
Interested in YPEI?
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To support YPEI at Dwight Hall, click below: