New Haven Farms/New Haven Land Trust is seeking interns to work in its community gardens over the summer!
General responsibilities include assisting the Community Garden Manager in undertaking community outreach efforts, spearheading building projects, and planning and coordinating educational and volunteer events in the gardens. The intern will also work with the Community Garden Manager and the Garden Education Coordinator to manage the Growing Entrepreneurs Program–a program that teaches New Haven high school students entrepreneurial skills within the context of gardening and the food system. There will also be the opportunity to develop other projects based on the individual’s interests and the needs of the organization.
We are looking for individuals with:
- Ability to self-motivate and pursue project goals without significant supervision
- Enthusiasm for urban agriculture and environmental issues
- Interest in working in a small but dynamic team of colleagues and occasionally supporting multiple initiatives over the summer
- Interest in contributing at times through physical manual labor to ongoing garden projects. Since this project will involve understanding various aspects of the organization’s on-the-ground gardening work, the individual will be expected to participate enthusiastically in gardening activities
- Familiarity with New Haven
- A Driver’s License
Hours/Wages: Our office generally operates from 9 to 5 with additional evening and weekend events over the summer. We would like the applicant to commit to full time or close to full time for the summer. Although this is an unpaid internship, we will be pursuing candidates that are eligible to receive funding from their collegiate institutions.
Internship Dates: This year, in order to streamline our internship program, we will offer two intern orientation/start dates: June 1st and July 6th. Internships can run from 5 to 12 weeks.
Supervisors: This position will be supervised by the Community Garden Manager.
Application Details: Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicants have additional questions about the position, they should feel free to reach out to the organization via email or by calling 203-562-6655.