BLAZING HER OWN TRAIL:
Insights Into Retail Technology and Community-Based Investment from a Serial Entrepreneur and Crowdfunding Pioneer
Via Zoom: https://yale.zoom.us/j/96327890256
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2021: 12:35 - 2:00 PM
Founder, Flat Out of Heels
Founder & CEO, Popcom
Please join the Entrepreneurship & Innovation Clinic for a Q&A with award-winning top retail tech entrepreneur Dawn Dickson-Akpoghene.
A serial entrepreneur and inventor with over 20 years of experience in technology entrepreneurship, marketing and business development, Dawn has founded five successful cash flow positive companies since 2001, including Flat Out of Heels (2011) and PopCom (2017) and is considered a forerunner in the equity crowdfunding space. In 2019, Dawn became the first female CEO globally to raise over $1 million using equity crowdfunding under Reg CF of the JOBS Act. To date, she has raised close to $5 million from over 7,000 investors through three Reg. CF rounds and one Reg. A+ round.
Topics to be covered include:
- Lessons learned on the entrepreneurial journey, including weighing equity ownership with the need for investor capital and future trends within the startup ecosystem;
- Successes and challenges associated with the shift away from a traditional VC investment model to equity crowdfunding and its impact on Black and founder communities;
- Dawn’s March 2020 testimony before the U.S. House Committee on Small Business on the use of blockchain technology by innovators and entrepreneurs to help small businesses boost productivity, increase security, open new markets and change the way business is done;
- Safeguarding intellectual property; and
- The role of lawyers as business advisors.
Dawn Dickson-Akpoghene is a serial entrepreneur and inventor with over 19 years of experience in marketing and business development. Her most recent ventures Flat Out of Heels and PopCom.
Dawn has received numerous awards and accolades including being recognized as the 2020 OBWS Entrepreneur of the Year presented by Snapchat. Dawn has been featured in countless media outlets including Forbes, INC, Black Enterprise, Fortune, Fast Company, Venture Beat, Huff Post, Essence Magazine, and more. Dawn has an expertise in raising traditional and non-traditional business capital, having raised millions of dollars for her ventures since 2001. In 2019, Dawn became the first female founder globally to raise a secure token offering (STO) of over $1M using equity crowdfunding under Reg CF the JOBS Act. In 2020 she led PopCom to raise another oversubscribed Reg CF round of $1.05M.
Dawn is a seasoned professional speaker, advisor and angel investor. She continues to be recognized as one of the nation’s top retail tech entrepreneurs.