Neighbor in Residence
Developed by Tsai CITY and Dwight Hall the Neighbor in Residence (NiR) Program offers a paid semester-long position designed for individuals living in New Haven to engage, educate, and grow within the Yale community. The purpose of the program is to:
- Build exciting partnerships and collaborations between aspiring change-makers living in New Haven;
- Help Yale students gain a better understanding of how to make a positive impact in the New Haven community; and
- Identify opportunities for the Yale and New Haven communities to share resources and work together towards a common goal.
NiR Program Structure
Neighbors-in-Residence will work alongside Dwight Hall and Tsai CITY stakeholders to advance Dwight Hall’s mission to “nurture and inspire students as leaders of social change and to advance justice and service in New Haven and around the world.” They will provide insight into the people, neighborhoods, community organizations, and local government that make up New Haven. The NiR focus on their own unique, innovative project during the semester.
The NiR commits to holding four hour-long sessions per month with Yale students, faculty, or staff as they seek to make strong connections in the New Haven community. Also, the NiR commits to supporting other New Haven residents in accessing opportunities, resources and events within the University.
Ideal candidates will be individuals with:
- Substantial experience in, and a deep understanding of New Haven (its neighborhoods, the nonprofit sector, and the socio-politics of the area)
- Prior participation in a leadership role in the New Haven community: Neighborhood Watch, Parent Teacher organizations, religious groups etc.
- A minimum of 8 consecutive years as a New Haven resident
- Initiative and self-motivation
- Strong sense of humor
This position was created so that Dwight Hall and Tsai Center for Innovative Thinking can offer staff time, expertise, and resources to help members of the New Haven community connect to Yale resources and connect the broader Yale community to assets in the New Haven community.
Nominations/ applications close Friday, February 2nd at 11:59PM EST
If you have any questions please email Marquita Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.