On June 7th, Lydia Burleson began her first day as…
Dwight Hall at Yale is an independent social-profit organization that was founded by undergraduates in 1886 and has operated continuously as a student-led entity. A nonsectarian umbrella organization, Dwight Hall is the largest campus-based student-led service organization in the country. As the Center for Public Service and Social Justice, the organization reflects a strong history of social justice work and a diverse Yale student body. This position will play an important role in delivering social justice and public service programming to communities in New Haven and around the world. Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy, the Communications and Alumni Engagement Associate creates marketing and communications content, furthers relationships with key constituents, helps plan and execute virtual and in-person events, manages the web site and social media presence, and advances the organization’s fundraising and programmatic goals. This role will collaborate with Dwight Hall staff, Yale students, Board members, alumni, current and prospective supporters, vendors, and others to inspire students as leaders of social change and to work toward a more just and equitable world.
• Develop engaging content and produce online and print collateral, including e-newsletters, annual reports, program and organizational materials, special appeals, brochures, and event invitations.
• Manage the Dwight Hall website in close collaboration with the Executive Director, Director of Programming & Evaluation, Director of Philanthropy, and other staff and students.
• Maintain a lively presence on social media (including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) that builds the organization’s brand and community of constituents.
• Manage communication workflow for generating publicity materials and disseminating information about Dwight Hall events, workshops, and trainings.
• Mentor and advise the Dwight Hall Student Executive Committee Public Relations Coordinator and other students.
• Support fundraising efforts, including donor communications, mailings, gift processing, and data entry.
• Collaboratively implement a comprehensive plan to grow the organization’s relationships with alumni, focusing on graduates’ interests and professional expertise.
• Support events and efforts to engage alumni in social justice and public service activities, including receptions, webinars, class reunion gatherings, and visits among alumni and friends of the organization.
• Serve as the staff lead on the Dwight Hall Alumni Mentorship and Career Development Task Force, including helping to manage relationships with the university’s Office of Career Strategy and the Yale Alumni Association.
• In collaboration with students, staff, and volunteers, grow participation in the Dwight Hall Group on Yale’s Cross Campus and other online networking forums.
• Ensure consistent tracking of alumni communications via inputs in a Salesforce database, spreadsheet and report creation, and other methods.
• Equity lens: knowledge of the history and ongoing negative impacts of racism in the United States, especially in the context of education, criminal justice, immigration, economic, and political systems
• Strong writing, editing, and graphic designs skills, including experience writing copy for websites, informational brochures, or flyers
• At least two years of work experience or related experience in sectors involving grassroots organizing, communications, fundraising, or alumni relations
• Social media skills, including analytics
• Experience with cloud-based software like Salesforce
• Ability to work remotely and independently
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a college or university
• Experience with developing communications campaigns (especially in an educational or social justice setting)
• Understanding of or experience with the philanthropic or nonprofit sectors or community organizing
POSITION TYPE & COMPENSATION: This position will be a full-time role of 37.5 hours per week. Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications, plus benefits.
APPLICATION PROCESS: By May 1, 2022, please submit the following to David Wilkins, Director of Philanthropy, at email@example.com
• A letter of introduction that addresses these questions: Why is this position a fit for you personally and professionally? How are you developing your equity lens? Which of the key responsibilities are of greatest interest to you?
• A resume
• A one- to two-page writing sample
• A creative portfolio, showcasing graphic, web, or digital work (optional)
In the subject line, please put “Communications and Alumni Engagement Associate Application from [Your Name].”
The application period will close on May 1, 2022 at 5 pm ET. Dwight Hall at Yale is an equal opportunity employer. POC, LGBTQIA+, and early career professionals are strongly encouraged to apply.